Picture this: you turn on your space heater for a bit of additional warmth this season and you fall asleep with it on. You wake up to the smell of smoke and notice that the curtains hanging just above the heater have caught fire. This disaster could have been avoided if you took proper precautions before turning the space heater on.
While we don’t recommend heating your homes with space heaters, we understand that sometimes it’s necessary and that homeowners across the Philadelphia area are going to do so anyway. If you find yourself in a situation where you need an additional source of heat, follow these safety measures at all times:
- Inspect the equipment for broken plugs or loose connections. Do not use if you find frayed wires or any signs of damage.
- Never leave a space heater unattended. Be sure to turn it off before bed and never let children or pets come in contact with the unit.
- They should never be used to warm bedding, cook food or dry clothing.
- Keep at least three feet of space around the heater free at all times.
- Never use extension cords to power your heater. Plug it directly into a wall outlet.
- Never place heaters on tables, cabinets, furniture or carpet. Only use them on flat, level surfaces that won’t catch fire.
Instead of using a space heater this season, consider switching to ductless heat. It’s a safe, energy efficient alternative that will keep you comfortable all fall and winter. To learn more about the benefits of ductless HVAC, call on the experts at GEN3 Electric today!