Did you know that the average residential household in the United States spends around $2,200 a year on utility bills? It’s amazing how much energy we consume on a daily basis and the thing is, most of the time we don’t even realize how much we’re actually using. Make a conscious effort to avoid these bad habits and we hate to say it, but if you’re falling into 3 or more of these categories, you’re a serious energy waster!
- Forgetting to Turn Off The Lights: this is a big one and one of the most obvious sources of wasted energy. Not only can you save money on electricity bills by turning off the lights each time you leave the room, you can actually extend the lifespan of your bulbs. One quick solution is to download a smart home system app so you can control the lights from your smartphone.
- Relying on Old Technology: still using incandescent bulbs in your home? Why? We understand that they still work fine, but switching to LEDs can save you 25% - 80% on energy bills and they can last up to 25 times longer.
- Leaving Devices Plugged In 24/7: take a walk through your house and count the number of electronic devices that are currently plugged in. Now think about how much you could be saving if they were all unplugged. Using a power strip makes it easy to turn off a number of electronic devices with the flip of one switch.
- Standing in Front of the Fridge With the Door Open: do you find yourself browsing into the fridge for a few seconds or minutes every time you get hungry? You might be surprised to hear that Americans spend an average of 10 hours each year gazing into the fridge or freezer. Think about what you want to eat before you open the door and you’ll find yourself saving lots of energy.
- Washing Your Clothes in Hot Water: you can cut this appliance’s energy usage nearly in half by switching to the warm setting and even more by using cold water. There’s no reason to use the hot setting unless you’re trying to remove oil or grease.
At GEN3 Electric, we’re always looking for new ways to save on electricity bills and we hope you’re doing the same! Give us a call at 215-512-4102 the next time you need electrical service, repairs or installations in your Philadelphia home.