Unfortunately, hundreds of homes are destroyed across the U.S. each winter due to home heating equipment.Read More >
Over the last several years, more and more insurance companies are refusing to insure homes with Knob and Tube wiring. This is not surprising as this wiring is extremely old and dangerous. This wiring was used in homes until approximately the 1950's. It is now extremely old and may have been subjected to extensive damage from contractors extending circuits over the years, which increases the possibility of poor connections. These problems can cause the wiring to short circuit or overheat. This wiring is not grounded, which increases the chances of shock and electrical fire. It should never be used in kitchens, bathrooms, laundry rooms or outdoors. The amperage is inadequate, so many contractors installed fuses with resistances that were too high for the wiring. This caused the fuses not to blow as often, but also causes heat damage.Read More >
We live our busy lives and pay little attention to our home's electrical system. There are many different signs that your electrical system needs attention. If you notice any of the trouble indicators below, call a licensed electrician right away.Read More >
Some homeowners really love do it yourself projects. There are many projects that homeowners can successfully complete themselves: painting, decorating, gardening etc. Electrical work gone wrong projects could put you and your family in danger. It is easy to get in over your head with a do it yourself electrical project, so don't! Call a licensed electrican to complete all of your electrical projects. If you have already started an electrical project and are confused but embarrassed to call an electrician, please call, there is no need to be embarrassed as electricians are used to this situation. We are just glad you call us before something bad happens.Read More >
One of our Master electricians went to a client's home to provide an estimate to install baseboard haters. What he discovered was alarming . He looked in the basement and saw this. (see picture below)Read More >
Happy Halloween from GEN3! While on the subject of spooks and chills, “They’re coming for you Barbara…” should remain an iconic horror movie line, not what your neighbor shouts over the sound of fire sirens!
Power-strips are great things, if used correctly. They’re vital as an extra layer of protection for computer equipment, other sensitive electronics and for oversized power adapters. However, they should never be used to over-stretch the capacity of your wall outlets. By design, they absorb surges in power and take the abuse but most are fairly cheap, mindless and only last so long. Kind of like benevolent zombies.Read More >
The cicuit breakers in your electrical panel are designed to protect you from an electrical fire. There are many reasons that your breaker will "trip" meaning shut itself off. It could be simple: You are using too much power on one circuit all at once. Don't try to use your hair dryer, curling iron, toaster and microwave in the same room at the same time! Solution: call a licensed, insured electrician, like Generation 3 Electric, and have an extra circuit added to a room with high power demand. Most modern kitchens have four to five circuits. Or it could be more serious: That handyman you let install some breakers did a very poor job! The photos below show poorly installed breakers and panel. There is even a screw touching the copper wire! No wonder that breaker is tripping. Solution: call Gen3 Electric and we will inspect your electrical system and offer you options to meet your electrical needs as well as your safety. Maybe your circuit breaker is failing and just needs to be replaced.
Today's code requires arc fault breakers which are even more sensitive to shorts or power surges. They trip even more often. If your breaker is tripping, it is trying to tell you something. Listen! Call a licensed, insured electrician, like Generation 3 Electric, and schedule an appointment right away.Read More >
I bet you think it is some sort of circus act, or maybe a flying insect. Nope. It is actually an electrical term used to describe wiring that has been capped off, but left open, not enclosed in a metal junction box.It is important to enclose these wires to protect you in the event a spark occurs. Inside a junction box, a spark could not ignite into flames. But without that extra level of protection, a flying splice could spark and possibly cause a fire in your home.Read More >
According to the U.S. Fire Administration (USFA), there are 28,600 electrical fires in the United States every year. Pair that statistic with the fact that these fires cause over $1 billion in property damages and you’ve got some astonishing figures. So, what are the top causes of electrical fires and how can you prevent them from happening? Find out below:Read More >