Looking for ways to save on energy bills this summer? Aren’t we all? The simple answer to that question is, yes, and there a few key methods you can perform in order to reach that goal. It all starts with a home energy audit, but it won’t make much of a difference unless you know what you look for:
- Start by inspecting light fixtures and recessed lights. Make a note of any issues with fixture itself or with the wires that are connected. It’s also important to look for other potential electrical hazards around the house.
- Test smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors and make sure there is at least one on every level of the house.
- Note the number and location of air registers and inspect windows and doors for excess condensation.
- Check on your thermostat to make sure it’s working properly. Note the thermostat type and settings in case of any problems.
- Inspect insulation in the attic and check for air leaks in places like chimney bypasses, recessed lighting and HVAC ducts.
Now you might be asking, “what’s the point of an energy audit?” Well, it’s the first step when it comes to saving money and energy. It will help you identify areas of improvement in your home by determining what’s being wasted so you can prioritize energy upgrades.
Ready to get started? We can help! Call on the expert electricians at GEN3 Electric to find out which electrical and HVAC upgrade projects we can assist with.