What Your Owner's Manual Doesn't Tell You About Damaged Wires

     

Picture this: you come home from work one day, put down your keys and your bag only to notice a burning smell coming from the kitchen. You start to panic and then you realize there’s smoke coming from the toaster oven. How could this be? The appliance wasn’t even turned on. Well, you take a look at the wire plugged into the outlet and realize it’s starting to fray.

toaster.jpg

Sure, you can read the owner’s manual to learn all about your new appliance. You’ll find out what each part or component is used for, instructions on how to put it together and even how to operate it properly. But there’s one major topic the manual might not cover - the dangers of operating the piece of equipment if the wiring is damaged or frayed.

Dangers of Damaged Wiring

  • Exposed electrical current
  • Electrocution
  • Shock
  • Burns
  • Melted outlets
  • Electrical fire
  • Equipment damage

Not only are the above results probable, damaged or frayed wires are also serious code violations. If you notice any of the appliances or electronic devices in your house have worn or damaged wiring, please refrain from using the device and have the wires repaired right away if possible. If they’re beyond repair, it’s best to replace the item altogether.

At GEN3 Electric, safety is our number one priority. If you’re unsure about a device’s wiring, don’t hesitate to give us a call. It’s always best to err on the side of caution and not take any risks. You can always count on the friendly neighborhood electricians for electrical repairs and wiring upgrades in Philadelphia and the surrounding neighborhoods.

About The Author

Bill earned a degree in Electrical Engineering and Architecture, then founded Generation 3 Electric in 2000. His father, an electrician, was his inspiration. These days, Bill actively manages his company and enjoys focusing on new technology and marketing.