Out with the old, in with the new. Just like we welcomed the start of spring a little over a week ago, it’s time to say goodbye to your old appliances and introduce upgraded models to your home. After all, those dinosaur appliances you’re still holding onto are costing you a fortune.
It’s important to understand that you don’t necessarily need to buy all new appliances at the same exact time. Different appliances serve different purposes and many will last longer than others. But generally speaking, here’s when you should start shopping around for newer models:
- Dishwasher - these appliances usually last roughly 9 years.
- Microwave - if your microwave is coming up on 10 years, it’s time to start shopping.
- Washer/Dryer - in most cases, dryers tend to outlast washing machines by a few years. But if you’re going to replace one, you might as well consider shopping around for both. Oftentimes, you can get a better deal.
- Refrigerator - most models will last about 10-13 years. And by that time, there will likely be more efficient, smarter models on the market anyway.
- Exhaust Fans - had your exhaust fan for 10 years or more? It’s time to think about getting a new one.
It’s also worth noting that you don’t need to go out and buy the most expensive option on the showroom floor. In most cases, any upgrade from your old machine will save you lots of money when it comes to your energy bills. But do keep in mind that in most cases, you get what you pay for.
Need someone to install your new appliances now that you’ve gotten rid of your old ones? Give the expert electricians at GEN3 Electric a call. We specialize in appliance wiring and would be more than happy to make sure they’re installed safely and correctly.