It’s one of the world’s simple pleasures – being able to throw a plate of food or a cup of coffee into the microwave and voila, it’s warm again! Just imagine for a second what your life would be like without the convenience of a microwave. Well, that scenario could quickly become a reality if you’re not careful with your microwave and your home’s electrical system.
Can a Standard Outlet Power a Microwave?
So, you just purchased the new appliance and you’re ready to set it up in the kitchen. You’ve gone days without being able to reheat your leftovers and when that cup of coffee or tea fizzles out to room temperature, you have to pour it down the drain.
Not anymore! Your microwave is back in action!
So you take it out of the box and set it on the kitchen counter. You plug it into the outlet in the wall, place that plate of cold food from the refrigerator inside and press the “REHEAT” button. A few moments later you realize you’ve got a major problem on your hands. You smell smoke and you see sparks!
Most microwaves require a dedicated 20-amp, 120-125 volt circuit for safe operation. Although it’s not completely unrealistic to see a microwave plugged into a standard wall outlet, some models require more power.
Large microwaves can draw 1500 watts of power or more, thus requiring their own dedicated circuit.
If you’re unsure, it’s best to play it safe! And that’s where we come in!
Have questions about your kitchen appliances or your home’s electrical system? Don’t hesitate to reach out to the friendly neighborhood electricians at GEN3 Electric today!