Hot. Hazy. Humid. These are three words we hate seeing on the weather forecast during the summer months in Philadelphia, but we’ve all grown to know that these conditions are inevitable. As a result, homeowners across the area rely on air conditioning systems and fans to beat the heat. While some may consider these items to be the best inventions of all time, they can quickly become a hazard if used incorrectly. See below for a few air conditioner and fan safety tips that’ll keep you cool and out of harm’s way this season:
A Few Facts Worth Mentioning…
- Roughly 15% of consumer-product related electrocutions can be attributed to large appliances, according to the CPSC. Most of these incidences occur while a person is attempting to service or repair the appliance.
- Each year, nearly 30,000 emergency room visits involve air conditioners, fans, humidifiers, air purifiers or other appliances commonly used during the summer months.
- Back in 2006, an estimated 7,400 U.S. home structure fires were directly related to air conditioning or related equipment.
Air Conditioner & Fan Safety Tips:
- Shopping around for new cooling equipment? While energy-efficiency may be top-of-mind, don’t forget about safety features and capabilities.
- Never try to install cooling equipment on your own. Have a qualified, licensed electrician do the job instead.
- Don’t forget to have your electric-powered equipment inspected at least once a year and maintained regularly to make sure it’s working properly and there are no safety hazards present.
With the power to keep your family cool in warmest weather, let one of the comfort professionals at GEN3 Electric turn your favorite room into a sanctuary. Call us today at 215-512-4102 to find out about our ductless heating & cooling solutions.