Over the last several years, more and more insurance companies are refusing to insure homes with Knob and Tube wiring. This is not surprising as this wiring is extremely old and dangerous. This wiring was used in homes until approximately the 1950's. It is now extremely old and may have been subjected to extensive damage from contractors extending circuits over the years, which increases the possibility of poor connections. These problems can cause the wiring to short circuit or overheat. This wiring is not grounded, which increases the chances of shock and electrical fire. It should never be used in kitchens, bathrooms, laundry rooms or outdoors. The amperage is inadequate, so many contractors installed fuses with resistances that were too high for the wiring. This caused the fuses not to blow as often, but also causes heat damage.
Read More >